10 Easy Ways to Save Money on Your Electric Bill
1. Turn off ceiling fans when you leave the room.
2. Set thermostat to 78 (or higher) during hot months when you are home, increase to 82 when you are not home. Set thermostat to 68 (or lower) during cold months when you are home, decrease to 65 when you are not home.
3. Use compact fluorescent light bulbs in all high use areas.
4. Reduce the setting on your hot water heater from 140 degrees to 120 degrees.
5. Replace or clean your A/C filters every 30 days.
6. During hot months, keep curtains and shades down to help keep your house cooler. During cold months, keep curtain and shades open to allow sunlight in.
7. Insulate your hot-water heater by wrapping it in a precut jacket or blanket (available at hardware and home improvement stores).
8. Use low-flow showerheads and faucet aerators to reduce hot water use.
9. Use natural light from skylights or sun tunnels instead of turning lights on.
10. Cool your attic by removing excessive heat with solar attic fans.